Sunday, February 28, 2016

First Week in the MTC

HOLA MIS AMIGOS!

Guys this is unreal! I've been waiting for this my whole life and i could not be happier! This past week we've had a lot going on and already my emotions have been all over the place. The highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. But there's always so much going on here I can barley keep up! 

THE PEOPLE:
So I've gotta start with my companera (companion). Her name is hermana Holmes and she went to Clearfield high school (just 20 mins away) and plays tennis! We are constantly laughing and having so much fun! But she is such a spiritual giant! and she really knows how to speak spanish which I am so grateful for because she's been helping me :) I couldn't have asked for a better companion! In our room we have 2 other sisters that are in our district (a district is the people that I go to all my classes with and I basically spend my life at the MTC with them) Hermana Souza and Hermana Lloyd. Hermana Souza is from Oregon and we figured out that we were in the same humanities class together this past semester at BYU-i!! small world :) Hermana Lloyd is from Idaho and is a total sweetheart! I love those girls! We have 5 elders in our district and they're all awesome! Elder Wilkes is from Georgia, Elder Hoagland is 26 and has been serving in the Air Force, Elder Keller went to Davis and I actually met him at a party last year, Elder Quist went to Layton is super chill, and Elder Richey is from California and is our district leader. Elder Davis used to be our friend and hang out with us in our district but his spanish was too good so he got transferred and is sadly leaving us to go to Argentina tomorrow! He'll do great! We have so much fun together but we know when to buckle down and get stuff done which I LOVE! They all have amazing testimonies and I'm beyond blessed to be acquainted with all of them :)

Oh my I've seen so many people I know! Alyssa Mann who I went to high school with and played soccer with when I was little  and she's in my zone! so she's in the classroom right next to mine and we go to church together and exercise! ah i love seeing her all the time :) Sister Amberley Loveridge also went to my high school and was in my home stake! We went to mission prep together all summer and right before we both left! I saw her before devotional on sunday and I got so excited :) she's going to be an amazing missionary! On Tuesday I walked into the cafeteria and Allie Eyring was sitting there and I got SO excited! I just hugged her and cried! She reminded me of home and she's actually now gonna be serving in the welfare center here at the MTC so I get to see her all the time before I leave :) love that! 

SPANISH:
So I know coming into this I didn't know spanish but I am struggling. Everyone in the class has had at least 2 years of high school spanish and I wouldn't count my high school education of espanol "high quality". So I'm basically starting 3 steps behind everyone. Not ideal. But I'm always praying for that Gift of Tongues and I'm just waiting for it to kick in haha I know that as long as i'm putting in my best effort and doing everything i can and have faith, the Lord will make up for the rest! 

SCHEDULE:
Every day up at 6:30 then its class food class exercise class class class class food class class sleep. That's my life. With my occasional devotional on sunday and tuesday that's about it. The devotionals are amazing and on the one this past tuesday devo we had Sister Rosemary Wixom the general primary president come speak to us and it was amazing! The MTC Choir (which i am apart of) sang A Childs Prayer and they had little kids come and sing the first verse and it was so pretty! All the little kids made me miss home and my siblings and my cousins and the eyrings and the gilberts! ahhhh i just wanna be around cute little kids again! 

MY INVESTIGATOR:
Ya so that title threw you off. My investigator isn't real. But we pretend so we can practice teaching. Her name is Sandra and she is really from Bolivia and we have to teach her lessons all in spainsh. it's a struggle. But we've taught her 4 lessons so far and she is really progressing! She's learned about the Restoration and Joseph Smith and the BOM, and we've also touched on the Atonement and she's loving it! We might ask her to be baptized tomorrow so we'll see how it goes :)

FUNNY STORY OF THE WEEK: WE. LOSE. EVERYTHING.
So we got our name tags and our key cards (that get us food and into every building) stolen on our 3rd day while working out. To be honest we kind of deserved it cause we got up a little late so we thought it was God punishing us. Then I lost my glasses for a good 2 days. But I found em now so it's no big deal.  

Oh and while Hermana Holmes we're practicing testifying of Christ in spanish I ment to say "JesuCristo es mi hermano" (jesus Christ is my brother)  but instead I said "JesuCristo es mi hombre" (Jesus Christ is my man) and the whole class heard it and we all lost it!! we we're rolling on the ground laughing for a solid 15 mins. It might not be that funny but it was at the end of a long day and we we're all in a weird mood! 

SCRIPTURE OF THE WEEK:
D&C 4 - the missionary chapter
in verse 4 it says "the field is white all ready to harvest" and every day on the way to meals there is a painting of missionaries collecting wheat out of a field and it makes me think of that scripture every time! That's what I'm here to do. Go find those who are ready to hear my message and to come unto Christ and I am so excited for this experience and to do the Lords work ;)

I love you all so much and I can feel your prayers and support! I am so grateful for all of you :) 
Mucho Amor (much love)

Hermana Smoot



ps if you want to write me I suggest DearElder.com because the MTC will print it off and give it to me the same day so I will have more time to read it and write you back :) my address is on my blog!! 
 Kylie and her companion Sis. Holmes 
Kylie and her district!

No comments:

Post a Comment